Canada on Rails: Dave Astels
Looks interesting now if only to see what a wookie looks like in real life
- Not about creating a bunch of test, but doing design via tests.
- Sapir-Wharf: language is important. The language you use effects and shapes your thoughts
- Think Different: yes I do have a powerbook.
- Not TDD but Behaviour DD.
- Danial North coined the term.
- classic mistake in TDD: do something look at state
- never write a private method.
- You should not be looking at the internal state of the object.
(state with a big red x thru it)
- Stubs are not Mocks (_I’m currently reading an article about this: Martin Fowler: Mocks Aren’t Stubs _)
- rSpec (also in gems)
- a way to describe specs in code, then test against those specs
- rather than
object.question?should be vocalized as “question, eh?”
The talk is bogging down into him showing every possible combo of this .should biz enabled by rSpec. This is great lesson about what I don’t think makes a good conf. talk
- Mocking API
- Mocks are auto verified, stubs are not
- Code, Questions and Discussion
DSL – Domain-Specific Language
- one more thing: shows up some code he hacked on the plane